Should You Invest In A Tankless Water Heater?
Having instant hot water at your disposal at all times is a tempting idea indeed, and tankless water heaters promise you exactly that. But are they really worth the extra cost? Petrocelli Services brings you the pros and cons of tankless or demand-type water heaters, with a view to making your decision to upgrade your existing hot water system a tad easier.
Why go tankless?
Tankless water heaters have a number of advantages over classic hot water systems with storage tanks:
- Near-instant, on-demand hot water, right when you need it.
- A compact profile due to the absence of a storage tank, and the consequent ability to be installed just about anywhere.
- None of the usual hassles of maintaining a hot water storage tank – cleaning and treating for sedimentation, for instance.
- Improved energy efficiency, especially if your daily water consumption is below 40 gallons.
- A greater lifespan (up to 20 years, as compared to the 15 years you can expect from a conventional tank-type water heater).
Things to watch out for:
- Tankless water heaters have a higher upfront cost than their traditional counterparts. This is eventually compensated for by their energy efficient operation and greater lifespan, but buyers on a budget might need to factor in the initial price difference.
- Some tankless water heaters can be a little inconsistent with their water flow rate, as against conventional water heaters which offer a steady flow of stored hot water from their tanks.
- Some older models of tankless water heaters use a standing pilot light; these can consume more energy than modern variants with electronic ignition.
Need help choosing a new water heater? Contact us here at Petrocelli Services with your queries, or to book a professional tankless water heater installation.
**Petrocelli Services is a full service HVAC company providing Air Conditioning and Heating installation and repair services for Austin, Round Rock, Cedar Park and surrounding areas.